Saturday, January 23, 2010

One more reason to stretch

About a month ago I posted on importance of stretching not from a muscle flexibility standpoint, but from activating the proprioceptive system standpoint.

I wanted to point to another research article can-touching-your-toes-test-your-arteries?.  This makes simple sense, remember when we stretch we are stretching everything - not just muscles.  The arteries run through our arms, legs and trunk so if we stretch we are keeping them more flexible as well.  We have known for a long time that if the arteries get stiff, it can lead to heart problems.

Here is another study proving the importance of stretching for many reasons beyond our once simple view of thinking it makes the muscles more flexible.  Let me know some of your favorite stretches...

1 comment:

  1. I have never heard of this. Very interesting. I may use this on my blog too. Thanks for posting it!

    ReplyDelete