Monday, November 26, 2012

Gain the Holiday Spirit not the Holiday Weight


Can a little too much holiday cheer add to holiday weight gain?  Holiday weight gain is a relative myth, it’s not the 5-10 pounds like we often hear.  The average American only gains 1 pound over the holiday season, but that does not mean it is nothing to worry about.  Studies have shown that when we follow individuals after their 1 pound holiday weight gain, they typically don’t lose that pound over the next year leading into the next holiday season.  So do this over the next 20 years and you’ll find yourself carrying an extra 20 pounds around and some negative health risks that go with that weight gain.

Another concern is that overweight people tend to put on an average of 5 pounds for the holidays.  So if you are overweight to start with, you are more likely to put on more weight then an individual that is not.  Not a good thing if you already have weight to lose, because you will end up with those 20 extra pounds in just 4 years.

While eating all of those Christmas cookies and treats on top of our normal calorie intake is usually the thing blamed for the added weight gain, don’t forget that added alcohol consumption with holiday parties can be partially to blame.  An average alcoholic beverage contains between 100-150 calories and if you are having only one drink per day that is not a problem.  But remember that alcohol calories come primarily from sugar.  We should take in only 5-15% of our calories from solid fats or added sugars.  So if you are at the average calorie intake for most women, which is just over 1900 calories or for men it is 2550; you can see how you can easily exceed this amount with a couple drinks and then throw in some food with extra sugars added to them.  Plus alcohol does impair our thinking and our willpower to say no to an extra cookie and some fudge.  This can create a double whammy with the added calories of the alcohol along with decreased willpower to say no to over eating. 

Unfortunately the added stress of the holidays can be to blame as well.  A short acute stress response from our body is helpful when we have a true emergency that should last a few minutes.  Long chronic stress is not good, which is what many of us live with daily and especially over the holidays.  When we get into a chronic stressed state we often tend to use poor strategies to relieve that stress such as drinking and eating compared to good strategies like meditation, prayer and exercise.  Also our willpower is decreased in a stressed state, just like it is under the influence of alcohol.  A time of acute stress is not a time to worry about your waist line in upcoming years; it is a time of survival to get through to the next day. But when that acute stress becomes chronic daily stress you can start to see how that can derail us and our future health needs.

So control your eating over the holidays, it is okay to have a few tasty holiday treats, but remember to try and do it with some moderation.  Also be careful with your alcohol intake, as it can lead to extra calories and decreasing your willpower.  Also try to meditate on the “reason for the season” to help decrease a little stress.  Get away from the TV and watching reruns of “It’s a Wonderful Life” and get out for a walk and some exercise to make it a wonderful life.  And after the New Year begins, start working to take off any weight that you might have put on so you start next holiday season where you began this one or a little less if needed.

2 comments:

  1. There are some natural remedies that can be used in the prevention and eliminate diabetes totally. However, the single most important aspect of a diabetes control plan is adopting a wholesome life style Inner Peace, Nutritious and Healthy Diet, and Regular Physical Exercise. A state of inner peace and self-contentment is essential to enjoying a good physical health and over all well-being. The inner peace and self contentment is a just a state of mind.People with diabetes diseases often use complementary and alternative medicine. I diagnosed diabetes in 2000. Was at work feeling unusually tired and sleepy. I borrowed a glucometer from a co-worker and tested at 760. Went immediately to my doctor and he gave me prescibtion like: Insulin ,Sulfonylureas,Thiazolidinediones but Icould not get the cure rather to reduce the pain abd brink back the pain again. I found a woman testimony name Comfort online how Dr Akhigbe cure her HIV  and I aslo contacted the doctor and after I took his medication as instructed, I am now completely free from diabtes by doctor Akhigbe herbal medicine.So diabetes patients reading this testimony to contact his email     drrealakhigbe@gmail.com   or his Number   +2348142454860   He also use his herbal herbs to diseases like:SPIDER BITE, SCHIZOPHRENIA, LUPUS,EXTERNAL INFECTION, COMMON COLD, JOINT PAIN, EPILEPSY,STROKE,TUBERCULOSIS ,STOMACH DISEASE. ECZEMA, PROGERIA, EATING DISORDER, LOWER RESPIRATORY INFECTION,  DIABETICS,HERPES,HIV/AIDS, ;ALS,  CANCER , MENINGITIS,HEPATITIS A AND B,ASTHMA, HEART DISEASE, CHRONIC DISEASE. NAUSEA VOMITING OR DIARRHEA,KIDNEY DISEASE, WEAK ERECTION.,PAINFUL OR IRREGULAR MENSTRUATION.Dr Akhigbe is a good man and he heal any body that come to him. here is email    drrealakhigbe@gmail.com    and his Number +2348142454860.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Goji Berries... yes... I tried those too.For my health conditions, Those sweet, red berries seemed to help, but only during the time when I consumed them. I don't want to take a drug for the rest of my life, so why would I want to take a natural supplement everyday for the rest of my life (although Goji berries are very tasty and are highly nourishing). To me this was not a cure either (and I'm LOOKING for the CURE).
    Up to that point, I hadn't found a cure. I felt like a young jumbled mess. I continued to have extreme pain, but continued on my path to healing. I started to focus on myself and not everyone else. When I was a young adult, I took on too much responsibility out of a sense of obligation. This was no longer healthy for me, so I resigned from all my projects and groups. Those days to come were the best [and worst] days. I took a lot of time off work, yet begun to feel so extremely exhausted. Many health professionals "diagnosed" me with adrenal fatigue & Hiv,Prostate Cancer so my situation was annoying then I keep searching for permanent cure online that's when I came to know of Dr Itua herbal center hands whom god has blessed with ancestral herbs and a gift to heal people with disease like .Cancers,Alzheimer's disease,HPV,Men & Women Infertility,Melanoma, Mesothelioma, Diabetes, Multiple myeloma, Parkinson's disease,Neuroendocrine tumors,Herpes, Hiv/Aids,Non-Hodgkin's lymphoma,, chronic diarrhea, COPD,Love spell, Hepatitis... So I made a purchase of his herbal medicines and I have been watching my health for 6 years now and I actually confirmed that his herbal medicines are a permanent cure and I'm so happy that I came to know of his herbal healings.You can contact Dr Itua herbal center Email: drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com WhatsApp: +2348149277967. if you went through exactly what I go through in terms of health conditions because to be honest there is more to learn about natural herbs than medical drugs.

    ReplyDelete